You are here

TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR INTERNATIONAL CONSULTANT FOR THE UNITED NATIONS PARTNERSHIP ON THE RIGHTS OF PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES MULTI-PARTNER TRUST FUND (UNPRPD MPTF)

1. Introduction and Background

Eswatini has a population of 1,093,238, of which 146,554 persons or 13 percent has disabilities. There are proportionately more females (16 percent) than males (11 percent) who have disabilities. Based on the Washington Group Questions on disability, the 2017 Eswatini Population and Housing Census, found that the most prevalent type of disability involves persons who have difficulty in seeing (32.6 percent), followed by those with difficulty in walking whilst the least category is that of persons with difficulty in communication at just 4.7 percent. Additionally, the prevalence of disability is much higher in rural areas; 82 percent of people with disabilities live in rural areas whilst the remaining 18 percent live in urban areas.

Rural women in particular, have the highest prevalence of disability at 17.4 percent. Empirical evidence shows that Persons with Disabilities (PWD) in Eswatini like in many other countries face a wide range of socio-economic challenges, for instance, the majority (52 percent) of PWDs in Eswatini have no education. Of those who ever attended school, only 22 percent completed primary school education. With the continued closure of schools due to COVID19, PWDs who were attending are most likely to drop out of school permanently. In addition, PWDs are more susceptible to poverty as the majority of them are not employed. In Eswatini, a staggering 85 percent of PWDs is unemployed. Furthermore, a health facility Assessment on PWDs’ access to Sexual and Reproductive Health services showed inadequate availability of amenities such as examination beds, table counters and toilets, as well as signage for PWDs. The legislative framework governing persons with disabilities in Eswatini is fairly conducive. Eswatini signed and ratified the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) in September 2012.

The CRPD marks a shift “from viewing persons with disabilities as “objects” of charity, medical treatment and social protection towards viewing persons with disabilities as “subjects” with rights, who are capable of claiming those rights and making decisions for their lives based on their free and informed consent as well as being active members of society” Other national instruments include the national policy on Persons with Disabilities launched in 2013 whilst the Persons with Disability Act was enacted in 2018. Subsequently, an Eswatini National Disability Plan of Action for the period 2018-2022 was developed. However, Eswatini is yet to compile its first State Report on the CRPD. In keeping with the principle of ‘leave no one behind’ and to which the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) of Eswatini is premised, UNPRPD seeks to ensure that issues pertaining to the rights of PWDs are brought to the fore. The UN Eswatini in response to the United Nations Partnership on Rights of Persons with Disabilities Multi Partner Trust (UNPRPD MPTFP’s) fourth funding call of 2020 seeks to engage an international consultant to support the UNCT conduct a situational analysis and developing the project proposal including program budget.

2. Purpose

The overall objective of the assignment is to lead the implementation of the inception phase of the UNPRPD MPTF project i.e. situational analysis and proposal development.

3. Description of the assignment

The assignment will cover two components of the phase:

Output 2 Situational Analysis: Lead the drafting of the situation analysis report and consultations with all stakeholders.

Output 3 Proposal Development. A multi sector approach will be used for proposal developments as per UNPRPD guide. The consultant will lead the drafting of the proposal as well as conducting validation meetings.